Tuesday, April 6, 2010

BAPTIZED PAGANS

BAPTIZED PAGANS

 

The first time I heard this expression, was several years ago from a Catholic brother who knows Jesus, and is filled with His Spirit. He was describing fellow members of the Catholic faith who have never experienced personal faith in Jesus, or we would say have never been "born again". Lately I have come to realize that it is not only in the Catholic Church that you find people who fall into this category! I expect you can find them in nearly every church body. In fact I must confess that I was a "baptized pagan" for nearly 10 years, while attending several Baptist Churches as a member! I didn't know it then, and only came to know the difference between being a member of some church, and being a member of the family of God much later. Whenever I meet someone who thinks their infant baptism assures them of entrance into heaven when they die, I try to explain to them that the only difference between their baptism and mine was a matter of years. They were done as a baby, I was done as an 18 year old, but we were both sinners in need of a Savior! It was actually 10 years later that I accepted Jesus as my Savior while listening to the preaching of (Rom 3:23), and realized that even though I was a church member, I was a lost sinner and would go to hell if I died in that condition!

 

I feel sorry for well meaning people who have been told that their "christening" as a baby, was really their baptism into the "church", and that following their "confirmation" they are now assured they are ready for heaven. I have met many people like this in my journey, whose life does not portray Christ like qualities, and yet they consider themselves "Christians". Our church system of "man made" traditions is responsible for this situation, and I expect someone will have to answer to God for this. The people are victims, but will suffer in the flames of hell because they were misled by spiritual leaders. If the simple gospel of the Kingdom was being preached to people, instead of some watered down version, perhaps more people would repent of their sinful condition, ask for and receive forgiveness from Jesus and be adopted into God's family by the Father! I suppose we can't place all the blame on our spiritual leaders. Those of us who are followers of Jesus must accept our share of the blame, for not being more diligent in sharing the good news of the gospel with those we come in contact with. That is why God left us here on this earth after we receive the gift of eternal life, so we can be witnesses of faith in Jesus! (Acts 1:8)

Sincerely submitted.

Dave Jamer


No comments: