Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Seven Eros Giants

SEVEN EROS GIANTS.

 

These were first made known to me by Bob Mumford in his teaching called The Agape Road. In this teaching he points out the difference between the two Greek words [Agape] and [Eros] which are both translated into English by using the same word "love". But their actual meaning is nearly opposite from each other, this is a common problem with translations. Thank God for having His Word written in Hebrew and Greek which are both very accurate languages? Agape is used for God in (1 John 4:8), and is often referred to as "God's kind of love". On the other hand Eros is never used in the NT because it comes from Greek mythology and has a "sensual" or sometimes even a "sexual" context. The English word "erotic" comes from the same root. So Bob says that where Agape is a word that means "Giving" as in (John 3:16), the word Eros is a word that means "taking", as in a case of "rape" or a situation of "incest" in a family. That is why I say they are opposite in meaning, although we often use expressions like I "love" my "cat" my "car" and "God" or "pizza" and use the same word love. How crazy the English Language can be!!

 

Bob lists the seven things he called the Eros Giants, 1/ Look Good. 2/ Feel Good, 3/ Be right, 4/ Stay in control, 5/ Hidden agenda, 6/ Personal advantage, 7/ Remain undisturbed. Consider these 7 things carefully, and see how often we use one or more than one in our daily relationships with friends and family members, especially with our "spouses". No wonder that so many marriages end in "divorce"! If we expect to improve relationships we must give close attention to these "giants", that we all incorporate into our regular activities whether we realize it or not. Even once I heard about them and see what Bob means by their danger to relationships, I still have a hard time to wean myself off from using them.

 

But in reality this is simply a part of learning to "walk in the Spirit" as the apostle Paul exhorts us to do in (Gal 5:16-21) and in several other of his letters like Colossians or Ephesians. Actually there is much more involved in being a follower of Jesus than most of us were ever told. After many years of following Him I realize how much simple disciplining that I missed, because it was never offered as part of the programs of the churches I attended I guess, or else I slept through them!! How about you?

Sincerely submitted.

Dave Jamer                                16/11/12                                                                       

 

No comments: