Thursday, October 22, 2015

Whose Side Are You On

WHOSE SIDE ARE YOU ON?

 

In a recent article by Joe Stowell in ODB, he mentioned a quote by President Lincoln about whose side God was on in the US civil war. Lincoln replied, "Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right". That is a very accurate quote, and represents an attitude towards God that we should all embrace. In the book of Joshua, he had a strange encounter with a stranger with a sword in his hand. (Joshua 5:13-15) NLT Joshua demanded "are you friend or foe?" To which he replied "neither one, I am the commander of the Lord's army". This would probably have been the Arch Angel Michael, who was in charge of a great number of warring angels, whose job was to protect God's people. Joshua fell on his face in reverence and said "I am at your command, what do you want me to do?" The commander of the Lord's army replied "take off your sandals, for the place where you are standing is holy" and Joshua did as he was told.

 

This is probably the proper response to any command we read in God's Word, instead of our often attitude that we will do things "our way", and ignore His way. Read (Is 55:6-11) for a clear instruction from God as to how we should respond to the hearing of His Word. Actually this whole chapter is an excellent read, which in the NLT version is headed up "Invitation to the Lord's Salvation". It makes it very clear that His ways are far above our ways, and His thoughts higher than our thoughts. In (Ps 139:23-24) we read "Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. Point out anything in me that offends you, and lead me along the path of everlasting life". Then in (Ps 73:28) we read "But as for me, how good it is to be near God! I have made the Sovereign Lord my shelter, and I will tell everyone about the wonderful things you do". NLT

 

"So let's ask ourselves: are we on the Lord's side? Being on His side means that we will reflect His love to the world around us in the way we interact with others. We will forgive, treat others justly, and seek peace. God's ways are always best". That's how Joe finishes his article, and then ends with this prayer "Father, teach us to search Your ways so that we may know how to be on Your side of the critical issues of life". He closes with this punch line "When you draw near to God, you are sure to be on His side".

Sincerely submitted.

Dave Jamer                                                                                                                               04/12/14

 

No comments: